Dr. Susana P Gaudencio, Dr. Ana Rotter and Dr. Cristiana A. V. Torres are guest editors of Marine Drugs Special Issue “Sustainable Circular Bioeconomy Approaches for the Biotechnological Development of Marine-Derived Products”.
Oceans are a vast reservoir of underexplored biodiversity, which is capable of producing natural products and other biomolecules that can be used for human health, well-being, multiple biotechnological applications, and alleviating societal concerns. Despite the increasing discovery research efforts, the marketed products fall short. This Special Issue entitled “Sustainable circular bioeconomy approaches for the biotechnological development of marine-derived products” aims at highlighting original research articles and comprehensive reviews concerning processes and technologies to either: 1) mitigate marine emerging pollutants issues, or 2) use industrial wastes and by-products in marine environments for the biotechnological and industrial production of bioactive secondary metabolites and high-value bioproducts, using sustainable and circular bioeconomy methodologies.
We invite you to submit an investigation that covers but is not limited to the following topics:
- Using waste as a target or a resource;
- Screening, culturing and characterization of microorganisms with pollutant degrading potential;
- Processes and technologies for the degradation of marine emerging pollutants using marine micro- and macroorganisms;
- Discovery, development and sustainable production of marine secondary metabolites, biopolymers and other bioproducts for high-value applications (e.g., pharmaceutical, cosmetic, cosmeceutical, nutraceutical, animal feed, biofuels, bioplastics, biostimulants, etc.);
- Genetics, bioinformatics, and/ or nano-biotechnologies to enhance the discovery and production of marine bioactive secondary metabolites, high-value biopolymers and other bioproducts;
- Culture, fermentation, extraction processes, engineering and production technologies for the sustainable industrial development of marine bioactive secondary metabolites, high-value biopolymers and other bioproducts;
- Microbial cell factories.
More information about Special Issue, its guest editors and requirements for paper`s submission can be found in the following link.